Sunday, February 1, 2009

Way Out of My Comfort Zone!

On Thursday morning the secretary from Brcyen's school called and asked if I would be able to come in and teach the 5Th graders for the day, because their teacher was feeling sick. I was grateful that I was watching little Alex that day and therefore was unable to sub. See I am not a teacher! I love kids, but teaching other peoples children is just not my thing. My degree is in business. I purposely avoided the education building at BYU. However, when I explained that I couldn't come in that day I made the mistake of sounding as if I would have loved to help out. Thursday evening the secretary called to see if I would sub for Friday. I have never acquired the skill to just say no, so off I went Friday morning to face 14 private school 5Th graders. As Brycen and I drove to school I told him I was very nervous because I had never been a teacher. Brycen thoughtfully and honestly replied, "But, Mommy you've been teaching me for a long time. You taught me to talk and to walk." His sweet words comforted me slightly although I really doubted that any of these kids would need help walking or talking.

The day went okay. I don't think that I will be getting the teacher of the year award, but at the end of the day everyone was present and accounted for, I wasn't tied to a chair, and we accomplished everything on the teacher's lesson plan. I think the kids liked me. The hardest thing was that the owner/director of the school came by twice to observe me. I really wasn't nervous once the day got started, except of course when Ms Merrill was standing in the doorway. I feel proud of myself for making it through the day and.
Yesterday I attended a class on pruning roses. Along with not being a teacher; I am not a gardener. I love flowers and admire other peoples yards and gardens, but I am clueless when it comes to tilling the earth! Still I came home and got straight to work. I think my roses bushes look like I pruned them right, now I will just have to see how they do this Spring.

I think the kids may have more of a green thumb than I do. I took this picture of Zac, Brycen, and Alex playing in the garden dirt the other day. They had a great time and came out very dirty.

No comments: